Friday, February 22, 2008

Palm Seeds , Palm Sprout Update

Here is an update on some palm seeds that I started this past week. On 2/17/08 I soaked these seeds for 5 days in warm water rinsing and changing the water daily. Then the seeds were placed in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite, and placed in a 1 gallon ziplock bags. 8 Phoenix dactylifera , or Date Palm seeds , 12 Caryota urens , Fishtail Palm seeds , and 4 Iriartea gigantea, or Stilt Palm seeds. Then tonight 2/21/08 I started the seeds that were collected on the post from 2/12/08. 30 Livenstona chinensis , or Chinese Fan Palm after a 6 day warm soak 10 of these seeds have begun to germinate just soaking in the water some of these are in the shot on the notebook. Then 18 Phoenix roebelenii , Pygmy Date Palm, some of these were pretty tiny but they sank and when i squeezed them they felt hard so I'll give them a shot.
madagascariensis And the last 31 of the still unknown Thatch Palm. I named it in the other post but I am now doubting the original guess. All of these seeds were placed in snap-tite containers. Now sprouts...I Love Sprouts.....From a little seed in my hand to a growing palm tree.............All of the sprouts today were planted on the blog so you can follow their development as well. First from the Seed Score blog on 1/22/08 and the planting on 1/23/08 I have 3 Ravenala madagascariensis or Travelers Palm sprouts starting to spike, and 1 more of the Washingtonia filifera or California Fan Palm that was planted on the 1/16/08 post has started to spike, so that a total of 2 from that planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment