Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My First Rare Palm Sprout! Veitchia merrillii ' Aurea Variegata ', Adonidia merrillii , Variegated Christmas Palm , Manila Palm




Veitchia merrillii ' Aurea Variegata ', Adonidia merrillii , Variegated Christmas Palm , Variegated Manila Palm are the names I have heard this palm called. I collected the red fruits from a tree back in Dec 07. In previous posts I have talked about these sprouts. I had around 70 cleaned seeds that I threw in an extra recycle bin that I had. Well, over the weekend I went to clean out the community bin and found this rare beauty. As of now this little sprout is showing great signs of variegation. Both sides of the first leaf have a yellow/white veins running through them. I have asked a few questions like will this seedling keep the variegation and the responses have been good. So hopefully I have sprouted my very first rare palm tree! Here are a few pictures from the recycle bin before the repotting. This is what I saw as I walked up to examine the new sprouts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    Very cool Christmas Palm. I see that this post is almost a year old. Any update on how this guy is growing and was the parent plant variegated as well?

    Thanks for the info,

    Rob K. in WPB

    ReplyDelete